- 05/26/2016 – 6 day course
- 07/19/2016 – 6 day course
- 08/11/2016 – 6 day course
Learn how to mountain climb on glaciated peaks! Northwest Mountain Guides offers both four and six day mountaineering courses in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Taking a mountaineering course will help prepare you for the challenges of climbing higher peaks. Whether your goal is to discover if you like mountaineering, climb expedition peaks or learn independence in the mountains, NW Mountain Guides can teach you the essential skills needed to be safe and successful while traveling on glaciated peaks. Our professional guides have a wealth of experience and will ensure you have an enjoyable adventure.
Mountaineering Course * 6 day
This course is a great introduction into the world of alpine mountaineering. Our course is designed for beginner or experienced climbers seeking to learn or review their skills. During the program you will learn the fundamentals of glacier mountaineering, covering the essential climbing skills needed to travel safely in the mountains. The expedition course allows more time to develop advanced mountaineering skills, preparing aspiring climbers for expeditions to Denali, Aconcagua or Himalayan peaks. NW Mountain Guide six day course is conducted in North Cascades NP and provides adequate time for glacial mountaineering instruction and a summit climb. Related climbs and courses: Intro to Mountaineering Course, Mount Baker, Mount Shuksan
Expedition Mountaineering School Curriculum
• Rest step, step kicking and pressure breathing
• Ice axe techniques and self arrest training
• Crampon usage and techniques
• Glacier travel, climbing as a rope team
• Introduction to anchors
• Crevasse rescue and self extrication
• Basic climbing knots
• Fixed line travel
• Belaying and rappelling
• Basic ice climbing and alpine rock techniques
• Discussion topics will include: Clothing and equipment, mountain weather, acclimatization, route finding and navigation, glacial fundamentals, snow camp skills. Our professional guides will follow the above curriculum, introducing the basic mountaineering skills necessary to make a successful summit climb.
In addition to our Pacific Northwest climbs we offer international climbing & trekking expeditions through GoTrek. The Elbrus in Russia and the Mexican Volcanoes are all really good next steps for those seeking to climb higher peaks and gain altitude experience internationally.